Home Forums Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) related discussions Corona-funerals without family/relatives: risk of complicated grief?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Herman de monnink
    Participant

Photo viewing after traumatic Corona-death?

In Italy I saw ‘mass’-funerals on tv without families/relatives because of Corona. Very sad images. Is it an idea to advise authorities to systematicly make Photos of the body and the funerial in countries where no family/relatives are allowed in the funeral/cremation? Afterwards – if this is a wish of the family – professionals can use the step-by-step Photo Viewing procedure to prevent complicated grief. In the Journal of Traumatology (2019) I described this procedure ‘Photoviewing after Traumatic Death. Finding the missing piece.’ Hope this helps at least afterwards for having a proper goodbye by those relatives who wish this? Al, the best, Herman
    de Mönnink, H. J. (2019). Photo viewing after traumatic death: Finding the missing piece. Traumatology, 25(4), 226–234. https://doi.org/10.1037/trm0000206

Janet McCord
    Participant

In my experience, sometimes taking photos of a deceased person is not acceptable. This was true in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo, especially in a village. The issues with funerals reminds me of how funeral practices and customs have to shift with the Ebola outbreaks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu